During the first week in October, the ALF/ELF liberated dozens of rodents from a laboratory at the University of Chile in Santiago. Anonymous report (translation by Earth First! Journal):
"As is already public knowledge, we entered into the animal torture center located in the Ecology Department of the University of Chile on the Juan Gómez Milla campus, with the clear intent of acting in solidarity with the caged rodents, we opened their cages and rescued them from the suffering, slavery, and exploitation the professors and students were subjecting them to.
With respect to this, we declare:
1. WE SUCCESSFULLY RESCUED 82 MICE. Far from white robes, syringes, cages, nurseries, and artificial environments, they have enjoyed good health and have been prepared for freedom. They know fresh air, the smell of earth, the beauty of the night. Their brilliant gazes, their happiness at leaving their cage, their desire to live and know of all that captivity deprived them of; this is a slap in the face to speciesism and scientific progress; a deep reaffirmation of our fight for freedom.
2. IN THE LAB THERE WERE MORE RODENTS WHO WERE FREED FROM THEIR CAGES. We deeply regret not being able to take them all. We miscalculated the level of overcrowding there. We were not prepared for the scene we witnessed; this we point out as in self-criticism and as a learning lesson which only direct experience can provide. We hope this serves as a lesson for others in the same fight for freedom who are not willing to wait for the jails' good will.
IN THAT ROOM THERE WERE ALSO HUNDRED OF CAGED INSECTS: WORMS, BEETLES, AND OTHERS. We do not know if they were experimenting on them or using them for food. They were also freed.
The same speciesism based on hierarchy which puts humans above all else (while considering it impossible to experiment on dogs or cats, but yes on rodents) has ignored completely insects that were there. They are not mentioned in reports or in the media, but for us their cages are just as condemnable as others.
It was a painful decision to leave some of the rodents and insects there, however we did not hesitate to open their cages and leave abundant food and water at their disposal. Having left them locked up at the scientists' mercy, that would have made a restful sleep impossible. Next time we will be better prepared.
We are not shocked that the media is standing on the side of exploitation and is reproducing the torturers version of the story. We are not shocked at their lies about animals destinies as a way of delegitimizing our actions. Are we to believe them? Are we to forget the problem deep down, that is, jailing and torture?
3. The laboratory in question is a small room in which the rodents live closed in, up to 13 per cage. Each cage has ID codes and the numbers of their human 'owners.' WE FOUND 3 TYPES OF RODENTS: LAB RATS (not at all like the newspaper photo, these were black), FIELD MICE (from Europe), and DEGÚ. We were especially saddened to see that some of them were shaven and had signs of manipulations. There were heaters which maintained artificial temperatures.
4. WE KNOW THAT THE RODENTS WERE LIVING DISGUSTING LIVES IN CAPTIVITY, AND BECAUSE OF THAT WE ARE SEARCHING FOR WAYS TO PREPARE THEIR ULTIMATE FREEDOM. We observed a great change from captive trauma to happy freedom:
-The lab rats developed immediate behaviors which were not expecting. They created tunnels in parts of the earth, and maneuvered with agility between leaves and twigs; they were very active.
-The field mice seemed uneasy, and voracious when faced with fresh fruits and vegetables; they quickly lost interest in the artificial food (pellets). They are bold, curious, and capable of breaking off and finding places to hide.
–The degú were reticent to our touch. That endemic species hides in branches and corners, they come out when we back off. They live off of saplings, fruit, and seeds.
5. For long enough the antiauthoritarian currents have been signalling that DIVERSE FORMS OF EXPLOITATION AND DOMINATION LIE WITHIN THE PRACTICE OF HIERARCHICAL STRUCTURES FOR INDIVIDUALS, JUSTIFIED, AND ENDORSED BY AUTHORITY WITH DISCOURSE THAT EXCLUDES SOME AND PRIVILEDGES OTHERS. Speciesism puts value on life, bodies, and activities of non-human animals above the rest, instilling the concept that life, bodies, and activities can be appropriated, and used for the benefit of humanity, without worrying about contemplations like individualism, freedom, or free will. The speciesist logic tells us that the rest of species exist to serve humanity, endorsing slavery, power, and authority.
These days we have witnessed scientists defending experimentation, speaking about the benefits that global warming will have on animals, affirming again and again that animal labs abide by established protocols. Facing this, we affirm that THERE IS NO VALID CAGE NOR EXPERIMENT THAT JUSTIFIES TORTURE. Have them experiment on themselves if they want, may they be caged themselves, and subjected to that which they subject the rodents and insects to.
All who resist being dominated should repudiate the domination of others. Because of this, our position is firm; we reject and oppose all forms of exploitation and authority, as much as when they oppress us as when they oppress others. How are we to believe in those who kill some rodents, when they were the same people who caged them and subjected them to experiments? It hurts us to think of what is destined for those who were left behind, but we know that the main responsibility lies with those who subjected them to a caged life and took them from their habitats.
The affected scientists have vomited a lot of trash, declaring that they are worried about the rodents, about their wellbeing, and an alleged incapacity of the rodents to exist in any space which is not their labs. Now they are interested in their deaths, when they have displayed deaths by their hands for generations, following scientific methods, and the idea of progress; for them the truth is reduced to some economic losses. Do they feel violated? Or are their aspirations frustrated by our actions? Now imagining their entire lives, one single life, in a cage.
For those of you who believe and treat yourself as Gods of Knowledge above other species, we inform you that our [brothers/sisters] are dismantling their truths and are showing us that it is possible to live in liberty. We are infinitely happy that their investigations have gone to shit, and that their successful careers have been frustrated and that they are crying on twitter...
Ten years ago, after a long campaign, we were able to close the Laboratory of the Universidad Católica [Catholic U.]. Today, via this direct action, while not blocking any form of sabotage, we make a call-out to multiply these actions against animal exploitation and those who promote it. WE CANNOT WAIT FOR THE CAGES TO OPEN THEMSELVES, let us make from words and intentions, actions of liberation.
There were many criticisms of this action, based on information provided by the university (that since the beginning has changed significantly their version of the facts) and several media outlets. Many of these we have read, although they appear nefarious, worthy of a crying tantrum that is directed more towards delegitimizing our action as method, centered on sensationalism with which it was turned over to the news outlets. Arriving at this point has not been easy, it has been a pathway of learning, it is not the result of chance, nor less an outburst. Therefore we encourage those who criticize with ease to have the same initiative to carry out projects / instances of struggle against speciesism and those who support it.
WE MAKE A CALLOUT TO STOP THE PURCHASE OF NEW RODENTS, and to the scientists in charge we proclaim: we know who you are and what you are doing. Watch your step!
We dedicate this action to all the animals locked up in labs, zoos, cages, or jails.
Animal, Human, and Earth Liberation.
Con respecto a esto declaramos que:
2. EN EL BIOTERIO HABÍA MÁS ROEDORES Y FUERON LIBERADXS DE SUS JAULAS.
EN LA HABITACIÓN TAMBIÉN HABÍA CIENTOS DE INSECTOS EN CAJAS: GUSANXS,
ESCARABAJXS Y OTRXS. Desconocemos si experimentaron con ellxs o los
usaron de alimento. También fueron liberadxs.
Fue una desición dolorosa dejar ahí a algunxs roedores e insectos, sin
embargo no dudamos ni un segundo en abrir sus jaulas y dejar abundante
No nos asombra que la prensa se ponga del lado de la explotación y reproduzca la versión de lxs torturadorxs. No nos asombran sus mentiras al respecto del destino de todxs lxs animales para deslegitimizar esta acción. ¿Vamos a creer en sus palabras? ¿Vamos a olvidar el problema de fondo, es decir, el encarcelamiento y la tortura?
3. El laboratorio en cuestión es una pequeña habitación, en donde lxs
roedores vivían encerradxs de hasta a 13 en una jaula. Cada jaula
apilada tenía códigos de identificación y nombres de humanxs “dueñxs” de
lxs animales que las habitaban. ENCONTRAMOS 3 ESPECIES DE ROEDORES:
4. SABEMOS QUE LXS ROEDORES HAN LLEVADO UNA VIDA DE ASQUEROSO
– Las ratas de laboratorio desarrollaron conductas inmediatas que no
5. Desde hace bastante tiempo las corrientes antiautoritarias hemos
venido señalando que LAS DIVERSAS FORMAS DE EXPLOTACIÓN Y DOMINACIÓN
En estos días hemos visto a lxs científicxs defender la experimentación,
Todxs quienes repudian el ser dominadxs, también deberían repudiar el
Mucha basura han vomitado lxs científicxs afectdxs, declarando su
A ustedes que se creen Diosxs del conocimiento sobre otras especies y a
Hace diez años luego de una intensa campaña se logró cerrar el Bioterio
de la Universidad Católica. Hoy por medio de esta acción directa y sin
descartar ninguna forma de sabotaje, hacemos un llamado a multiplicar
los actos en contra de la explotación animal y quienes la promueben. NO
PODEMOS ESPERAR A QUE LAS JAULAS SE ABRAN SOLAS, hagamos de las palabras
Fueron muchas las críticas que se hicieron a la acción, en base a información entregada por la universidad (que desde el primer momento hasta ahora ha cambiado bastante su versión sobre los hechos) y diversos medios que propagan las ideas del poder. Muchas de estas críticas las recogemos; sin embargo, otras nos parecen nefastas, dignas de un lloriqueo que estaba más dirigido a deslegitimizar la acción como directa como método, que centrada en el sensacionalismoo con que fue entregada la noticia… Llegar a este punto no es fácil, ha sido todo un camino de aprendizajes, no es fruto del azar, ni menos un arrebato. Por ende animamos a quienes critican con soltura a tener la misma iniciativa para llevar a cabo proyectos/instancias de lucha contra el especismo y quienes lo sostienen.
HACEMOS UN LLAMADO A EVITAR LA COMPRA DE NUEVXS ROEDORES, y a los científicxs a cargo: sabemos quienes son y qué hacen, cuiden sus pasos.
Dedicamos esta acción a todxs lxs animales encerradxs ya sea en laboratorios, zoológicos, jaulas o cárceles.
Liberación animal, humana y de la Tierra.